Saturday, July 10, 2010

Drawing Sam

Since I like to draw, I decided to post how I digitally drew a picture of Sam.
First, I drew and colored a picture of him and scanned it onto the computer.
When I got it on the computer, I drew lines on it so I knew how to color it. (The lines are on a separate layer.)
After I did that, I used a grass brush to draw the base coat of fur. (This was done on a layer just under the lines.)
I then used the mouse to draw the main fur that you can see on a layer above the one in the above picture. Unlike the base coat, I had to make sure it went the right way.
To finish off, I blurred the fur so it looked more fuzzy, put shadows and highlights on the head, and I added smaller furs and stuff around his head. After that, I added grass with the grass brush and made the sky.
I used a picture as a reference. The program I use is Photoshop CS4. For someone who doesn't want to buy Photoshop, my advice is to download a free program called GIMP. Though not nearly as good as Photoshop, GIMP is a good program to experiment with.

Jessi

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessi,

    I remember seeing Sam as a puppy when we went out your way a few years ago. He has sure grown up since then. Good job on your drawing.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your family again sometime!

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess,
    I miss Sam! I love that pic we got right before we left with him up on the rock out front.

    Oh ya... just so you know, you've inspired me to start drawing again! =)

    Look forward to seeing more drawings!
    Vern

    ReplyDelete